Ben Cole (co advising with Dr. Ping Yang)
Job Openings in the Brooks Group:
There may be openings in the group in the near future for graduate and undergraduate students.
ATMO 681-600 Atmospheric Science Seminar
GEOS 485 Undergraduate Research Opportunities: The role of pollen in air quality and climate
ATMO 464 Atmospheric Measurements
ATMO 664 Atmospheric Measurements
Dr. Sarah D. Brooks
Ph.D. Analytical Chemistry, University of Colorado, 2002.
S.B. Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1995
Currently, a poor understanding of particles in the atmosphere and the clouds that form on them limits our ability to understand and quantify global warming. The focus of our research is to develop a better understanding of how natural and anthropogenic aerosol particles influence aerosol/cloud interactions on local to global scales. Using novel analytical techniques, we can observe ice cloud nucleation under atmospheric conditions. Through a combination of field studies and laboratory experiments, we explore how concentration, chemical composition, surface chemical reactions, and shape of aerosols impact cloud formation and properties.
Recent air quality studies in Texas have shown that chemical and particulate pollutants can travel significant distances and therefore may change air quality and aerosol/cloud interactions throughout an entire region. In statewide air quality studies, we will investigate how urban and rural contributions to aerosols influence aerosol radiative properties, visibility, and human health. Also, by participating in large scale global campaigns, we measure concentrations and compositions of aerosols faciliate nucleation of ice crystals and warm cloud droplets. In laboratory studies, we investigate ice nucleation of aerosols with known chemical compositions. We also explore the chemical reactions occurring on the surface of the aerosols and attempt to understand how these processes alter the aerosols and their role in cloud formation processes. These combined studies may provide a better understanding of complex aerosol/cloud interactions, and therefore may improve our ability to predict human impact on future climate change.
(19) Hiranuma, N.*(student of mine), S.D. Brooks, D.C.O. Thornton, and B.W. Auvermann, “Atmospheric ammonia concentrations at an open-air cattle feeding facility,” J. Air & Waste Manage. Assoc. 60:210–218, DOI:10.3155/1047-32184.108.40.206, 2010.
(18) Atkinson, D.B., P. Massoli, N. T. O'Neill, P. K. Quinn, S.D. Brooks, and B. Lefer,“Comparison of in situ and columnar aerosol spectral measurements during TexAQS-GoMACCS 2006: Testing parameterizations for estimating aerosol fine mode properties,” Atmos. Chem. Phys., 10, 51–61, 2010.
(17) Brooks, S.D., M. Gonzales*, and R. Farias*, "Using surface tension measurements to understand how pollution can influence cloud formation, fog, and precipitation," Journal of Chemical Education, 86 (7), 838-841, 2009.
(16) Fornea, A.P.*, S.D. Brooks, J. B. Dooley*, and A. Saha,“Heterogeneous freezing of ice on atmospheric aerosols containing ash, soot, and soil," J. Geophys. Res., 114, D13201, doi:10.1029/2009JD011958, 2009.
(15) Wright, M.E., Atkinson, D.B. L. Ziemba, R. Griffin, N. Hiranuma*, S.D. Brooks, B. Lefer, J. Flynn, R. Perna, B. Rappengluck, W. Luke, P. Kelley,"Extensive aerosol optical properties and aerosol mass related measurements during TRAMP/TexAQS 2006 - Implications for PM compliance and planning," Atmospheric Environment, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2008.12.055, 2009.
(14) DeMott, P. J., K. Sassen, M. R. Poellot, D. Baumgardner, D. C. Rogers, S. D. Brooks, A. J. Prenni, and S. M. Kreidenweis, Correction to “African dust aerosols as atmospheric ice nuclei”, Geophys. Res. Lett., 36, L07808, doi:10.1029/2009GL037639, 2009.
(13) Atkinson, D.B., P. Massoli, N. T. O'Neill, P. K. Quinn, S.D. Brooks, and B. Lefer, “Comparison of in situ and columnar aerosol spectral measurements during TexAQS-GoMACCS 2006: Testing parameterizations for estimating aerosol fine mode properties” Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss., 9, 17465-17494, 2009.
(12) Hiranuma, N.*, S.D. Brooks, B. Auvermann, and R. Littleton,“Chemical and hygroscopic properties of agricultural aerosols,” Atmospheric Environment, 42, 1983-1994, 2008.
(11) Prenni, A.J., P.J. DeMott, C. Twohy, M.R. Poellot, S.M. Kreidenweis, D.C. Rogers, S.D. Brooks, M. Richardson, and A.J. Heymsfield,“Examinations of ice formation processes in Florida cumuli using ice nuclei measurements of anvil ice crystal particle residues,” J. Geophys. Res., 112, D10221, doi:10.1029/2006JD007549, 2007.
(10) D.J. Cziczo, P.J. DeMott, S.D. Brooks, A.J. Prenni, D.S. Thomson, D. Baumgardner, J.C. Wilson, S.M. Kreidenweis, and D.M. Murphy, "Observations of Organic Species and Atmospheric Ice Formation," J. Geophys. Res. Letts., Vol. 31, L12166, doi: 10.1029/2004GL019822, 2004.
(9) Brooks, S.D., P.J. DeMott, and S.M. Kreidenweis, "Water Uptake by Particles containing Humic Materials and Mixtures of Humic Materials with Ammonium Sulfate," Atmos. Environ., 38(13) 1859-1868, 2004.
(8) Brooks, S.D., O.B. Toon, M.A. Tolbert, D. Baumgardner, B. Gandrud, E. Browell, H. Flentje, J.C. Wilson, "Polar Stratospheric Clouds during SOLVE/THESEO: Comparison of Lidar Observations with In-Situ Measurements," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 109,(D2), D02109, doi:10.1029/2003JD003912, 2004.
(7) Brooks, S.D., D. Baumgardner, B. Gandrud, J. E. Dye, M. J. Northway, D.W. Fahey, T.P. Bui, O.B. Toon, M.A. Tolbert, "Measurements of Large Stratospheric Particles in the Arctic Polar Vortex," J. Geophys. Res., 108 (D20), 4652, 2003.
(6) DeMott, P.J., K. Sassen, M.R. Poellot, D. Baumgardner, D.C. Rogers, S.D. Brooks, A.J. Prenni, and S.M. Kreidenweis, "African Dust Aerosols as Atmospheric Ice Nuclei," Geophys. Res. Letts., 30 (14): Art. No. 173, 2003.
(5) Wise, M.E., S.D. Brooks, R.M. Garland, D.J. Cziczo, S.T. Martin, and M.A. Tolbert, "Solubility and Freezing Effects of Fe2+ and Mg2+ in H2SO4 Solutions Representative of Upper Tropospheric and Lower Stratospheric Sulfate Particles," J. Geophys. Res., 108 (D14), 4434, 2003.
(4) Brooks, S.D., R.M. Garland, M.E. Wise, M. Cushing, E. Hewitt, A. J. Prenni, and M.A. Tolbert, "Deliquescence and Efflorescence of Mixed Maleic Acid/Ammonium Sulfate Aerosols," J. Geophys. Res., 108(D15), 4487, 2003.
(3) Brooks, S.D., M.E. Wise, M. Cushing, and M.A. Tolbert, "Deliquescence Behavior of Organic/Ammonium Sulfate Aerosol," Geophys. Res. Letts., 29 (19), 23- 1-4, 2002.
(2) Prenni, A.J., M.E. Wise, S.D. Brooks, and M.A. Tolbert, "Ice Nucleation in Sulfuric Acid and Ammonium Sulfate," J. Geophys. Res.,106(D3), 3037-3044, 2001.
(1) Onasch, T.B., R.L. Siefert, S.D. Brooks, A.J. Prenni, B. Murray, M.A. Wilson, and M.A. Tolbert, "Infrared Spectroscopic Study of the Deliquescence and Efflorescence of Ammonium Sulfate Aerosol as a Function of Temperature," J. Geophys. Res., 104(D17). 21,317-21,326, 1999.