Texas A&M University
O&M Building, Room 1014A
Department of Atmospheric Sciences
College Station, Texas 77843
Link to ResearcherID Profile
Dr. Kenneth Bowman
David Bullock Harris Professor of Geosciences
Ph.D. Geophysical Fluid Dynamics, Princeton University, 1984
- Atmospheric transport and mixing
- Dynamics and chemistry of the upper troposphere and lower stratosphere
- Climate dynamics
- Satellite meteorology
- Statistical climatology
Atmospheric transport and mixing
My research uses aircraft and satellite data, computer models, and theory to investigate the large-scale transport of atmospheric constituents, including trace species such as ozone and water vapor, and dynamical properties properties like potential vorticity.
My students and I are using data collected by the NCAR/NSF Gulfstream V research aircraft during the START08 field program to diagnose transport processes in the upper troposphere and lower stratosphere.
Current research involves the use of data from the Tropical Rainfall Measuring Mission (TRMM) satellite to understand climatic and dynamical processes in the tropical atmosphere. We are using TRMM data and the Weather Research and Forecasting model to study propagating precipitation systems in the tropics.
- Homeyer, C. R.*, K. P. Bowman, L. L. Pan, M. A. Zondlo, and J. F. Bresch, 2011. Convective injection into stratospheric intrusions, J. Geophys. Res., 116, D23304, doi:10.1029/2011JD016724.
- Homeyer, C. R.*, K. P. Bowman, L. L. Pan, E. L. Atlas, R.-S. Gao, and T. L. Campos, 2011. Dynamical and chemical characteristics of tropospheric intrusions observed during START08, J. Geophys. Res., 116, D06111, doi:10.1029/2010JD015098.
- Pan, L. L., K. P. Bowman, E. L. Atlas, S. C. Wofsy, F. Zhang, J. F. Bresch, B. A. Ridley, J. V. Pittman, C. R. Homeyer*, P. Romashkin, W. A. Cooper, 2010. The Stratosphere-Troposphere Analyses of Regional Transport 2008 (START08) Experiment, Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 91, 327-342, doi:10.1175/2009BAMS2865.1.
- Murthi, A.*, K. P. Bowman, and L. R. Leung, 2010. Simulations of precipitation using NRCM and comparisons with satellite observations and CAM: annual cycle, Clim. Dyn., 35, 2010, doi: 10.1007/s00382-010-0878-z
- Bowman, K. P., L. L. Pan, T. Campos, and R. Gao, 2007. Observations of fine-scale transport structure in the upper troposphere from HIAPER, J. Geophys. Res., 112, D18111, doi: 10.1029/2007JD008685.
- Huffman, G. J., R. F. Adler, D. T. Bolvin, G. Gu, E. J. Nelkin, K. P. Bowman, Y. Hong, E. F. Stocker, D. B. Wolff, 2006. The TRMM Multi-satellite Precipitation Analysis: Quasi-global, multi-year, combined-sensor precipitation estimates at fine scale, J. Hydrometeorology, 8, 38-55, doi: 10.1175/JHM560.1
- Full list of publications