O&M Building, Room 1010A
Department of Atmospheric Sciences
College Station, Texas 77843
Ph.D., Earth Sciences, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest, Hungary
Diploma, Meteorology, Eotvos Lorand University, Budapest, Hungary
- Numerical weather prediction
- Ensemble forecasting
- Data assimilation
- Dynamical systems
- Predictability of the atmosphere and other complex systems
- Local dynamics of atmospheric instabilities
- Gulf of Mexico Integrated Spill Response Consortium (GISR)
- Interview on weather prediction models on the program Houston Matters, Houston Public Media, KUHF 88.7 http://www.houstonmatters.org/segments/segment-b/2014/11/19/the-not-always-exact-science-of-predicting-the-weather
- How well can we know the future? How well can we know the present? MIT Enterprise Forum, Houston, TX, November 12, 2014 http://video.mitef.org/a3b/advances-in-modeling-weather-and-climate-change-part-3-istvan-szunyogh/
- Panel discussion. MIT Enterprise Forum, Houston, TX, November 12, 2014. http://video.mitef.org/Haa/advances-in-modeling-weather-and-climate-part-7-question-and-answers/
- Martian weather analysis and forecasting. Aggies talk. https://youtu.be/_nAEabJXP_c
For a full list of publications, please see CV at the Links Section
* indicates a student and ** indicates a postdoctoral associate, whose research was advised or co-advised by I. S.
Publications in Press and Under Review
- Holt*, C., I. Szunyogh, G. Gyarmati, S. M. Leidner, and R. N. Hoffman, 2015: Assimilation of tropical cyclone observations: Improving the assimilation of TCVitals, scatterometer winds, and dropwindsonde observations. Under review.
- Kretschmer*, M., B. R. Hunt, E. Ott, C. H. Bishop, S. Rainwater, and I Szunyogh, 2015: A composite state method for ensemble data assimilation with multiple limited-area models. Tellus A (in press).
- Szunyogh, I., 2014: Applicable Atmospheric Dynamics: Techniques for the Exploration of Atmospheric Dynamics. World Scientific. http://www.worldscientific.com/worldscibooks/10.1142/8047
- Kalnay, E., B. Hunt, E. Ott, and I. Szunyogh, 2006: Ensemble forecasting and data assimilation: two problems with the same solution? In Predictability of Weather and Climate. Eds. T. Palmer and R. Hagedorn. Cambridge University Press. Cambridge, pp. 157-180. http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/earth-and-environmental-science/atmospheric-science-and-meteorology/predictability-weather-and-climate
- Roh*, S., M. C. Genton, M. Jun, I. Szunyogh, and I. Hoteit, 2013: Observation quality control with a robust ensemble Kalman filter. Mon. Wea. Rev., 41, 4414--4428. http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/MWR-D-13-00091.1
- Kavulich*, M. J., I. Szunyogh, G. Gyarmati, and R. J. Wilson, 2013: Local dynamics of baroclinic waves in the Martian atmosphere. J. Atmos. Sci., 70, 3415--3447. http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/JAS-D-12-0262.1
- Holt*, C. R., I. Szunyogh, G. Gyarmati, 2013: Can a moderate resolution limited-area data assimilation system add value to the global analysis of tropical cyclones? Mon. Wea. Rev., 144, 1866--1883. http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/MWR-D-12-00093.1
- Aravequia**, J. A., I. Szunyogh, E. J. Fertig*, E. Kalnay, D. Kuhl*, and E. J. Kostelich, 2011: Evaluation of a strategy for the assimilation of satellite radiance observations with the Local Ensemble Kalman Filter. Mon. Wea. Rev., 139, 1932-1951. http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/2010MWR3515.1
- Satterfield*, E., and I. Szunyogh, 2011: Assessing the performance of an ensemble forecast system in predicting the magnitude and the spectrum of analysis and forecast uncertainties. Mon. Wea. Rev.,139, 1207-1223. http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/2010MWR3439.1
- Satterfield*, E. and I. Szunyogh, 2010: Predictability of the performance of an ensemble forecast system: Predictability of the space of uncertainties. Mon. Wea. Rev.,138, 962-981. http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/2009MWR3049.1
- Szunyogh, I., E. J. Kostelich, G. Gyarmati, E. Kalnay, B. R. Hunt, E. Ott, E. Satterfield*, and J. A. Yorke, 2008: A Local Ensemble Transform Kalman Filter data assimilation system for the NCEP global model. Tellus, 60A, 113-130.
- Hunt, B. R., E. J. Kostelich, and I. Szunyogh, 2007: Efficient data assimilation for spatiotemporal chaos: a Local Ensemble Transform Kalman Filter. Physica D, 230, 112-126.
- Baek*, S.-J., B. R. Hunt, I. Szunyogh, and E. Ott, 2006: Local ensemble Kalman filtering in the presence of model bias. Tellus, 58A, 293-306.
- Zimin*, A. V., I. Szunyogh, B. R. Hunt, and E. Ott, 2006: Extracting envelopes of nonzonally propagating wave packets. Mon. Wea. Rev., 134, 1329-1333.
- Szunyogh I., E. J. Kostelich, G. Gyarmati, D. J. Patil, B. R. Hunt, E. Kalnay, E. Ott, and J. A. Yorke, 2005: Assessing a local ensemble Kalman filter: Perfect model experiments with the NCEP global model. Tellus, 57A, 528-545.
- Ott, E., B. R. Hunt, I. Szunyogh, A. V. Zimin*, E. J. Kostelich, M. Corazza*, E. Kalnay, D. J. Patil, and J. A. Yorke, 2004: A local ensemble Kalman filter for atmospheric data assimilation. Tellus, 56A, 415-428.
- Zimin*, A. V., I. Szunyogh, D. J. Patil, B. R. Hunt, and E. Ott, 2003: Extracting envelopes of Rossby wave packets. Mon. Wea. Rev., 131, 1011-1017.
- Szunyogh, I., Z. Toth, A. V. Zimin*, S. Majumdar, and. A Persson, 2002: Propagation of the effect of targeted weather observations: The 2000 Winter Storm Reconnaissance program. Mon. Wea. Rev., 130, 1144-1165.
- Szunyogh, I., Z. Toth, R. E. Morss, S. J. Majumdar, B. J. Etherton, and C. H. Bishop, 2000: The effect of targeted dropsonde observations during the 1999 Winter Storm Reconnaissance program. Mon. Wea. Rev., 128, 3520-3537.
- Kadar*, B., I. Szunyogh, and D. Devenyi, 1998: On the origin of model errors. Part II. Effects of the spatial discretization. Idojaras,101, 71-107.
- Szunyogh I., E. Kalnay, and Z. Toth, 1997: A comparison of Lyapunov and optimal vectors in a low-resolution GCM. Tellus, 49A, 200-227.
- Szunyogh I., 1993: Finite-dimensional quasi-Hamiltonian structure in simple model equations. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, 52, 49-57.
- Professor, September 2012-Present; Department of Atmospheric Sciences, Texas A&M University
- Professor, February 2009-Present; Department of Atmospheric Sciences, Texas A&M University
- Associate Research Scientist, July 2005–January 2009; Institute for Physical Science and Technology and Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Science (formerly Department of Meteorology), Member of the Applied Mathematics and Scientiﬁc Computation Graduate Program and the Burgers Program for Fluid Dynamics, University of Maryland
- Assistant Research Scientist, February 2001–June 2005; Institute for Physical Science and Technology and Department of Meteorology, University of Maryland
- Visiting Scientist, September 1997–February 2001; University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR), based at the Environmental Modeling Center, National Centers for Environmental Prediction (formerly NMC), National Weather Service
- Postdoctoral Associate, March 1997–September 1997; Department of Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, based at NCEP
- Postdoctoral Visiting Scientist, September 1996–February 1997; Mesoscale and Microscale Meteorology Division,National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, Colorado, based at NCEP
- Visiting Scientist at the Program “Mathematics of the Atmosphere and Ocean Dynamics” (July 1996-September 1996), Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge, United Kingdom
- Magyary Zoltan Postdoctoral Fellow, September 1995–August 1996; Department of Meteorology, E¨otv¨os Lorand University, Budapest, Hungary
- Research Scientist, September 1998–September 1999 (on leave); Department of Meteorology, Eotvos Lorand University, Budapest, Hungary
- Research Associate, September 1991–September 1998 (on leave after September 1995), Department of Meteorology, Eotvos Lorand University, Budapest, Hungary