O&M Building, Room 1205B
The Water Program
213 Teague Hall
College Station, Texas 77843
Ph.D., Physics, University of Wisconsin, 1966
B.S., 1960, Physics, The University of Tennessee
University Distinguished Professor Emeritus
- Modern and Paleo-Climate Analysis
- Satellite Remote Sensing, Mission Planning
- Climate and Hydrology Modeling
- Statistical Methods in Atmospheric Science
- North, G. R., F. J. Moeng, T. J. Bell and R. F. Cahalan, 1982: Sampling Errors in the Estimation of Empirical Orthogonal Functions. Mon. Wea. Rev., 110, 699-706.
- Simpson, J., R. F. Adler and G. R. North, 1988: Proposed Tropical Rainfall Measuring Mission (TRMM) Satellite. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc., 69, 278-295.
- North, G. R., R. F. Cahalan and J. A. Coakley, 1981: Energy-Balance Climate Models. Rev. Geophys. Sp. Phys.,19, 91-121.
- North, G. R., 1975: Theory of Energy-Balance Climate Models. J. Atmos. Sci., 32, 2,033-2,043.
- Short, D. A., J. G. Mengel, T. J. Crowley, W. T. Hyde and G. R. North, 1991: Filtering of Milankovitch Cycles by Earth’s Geography. Quaternary Res., 35, 157-173.
- North, G. R., J. G. Mengel and D. A. Short, 1983: A Simple Energy Balance Model Resolving the Seasons and the Continents: Application to the Astronomical Theory of the Ice Ages. J. Geophys. Res., 88, 6,576-6,586.
- North, G. R., 1975: Analytical Solution to a Simple Climate Model With Diffusive Heat Transport. J. Atmos. Sci., 32,1,301-1,307.
- Bell, T. L., A. Abdullah, R. L. Martin and G. R. North, 1990: Sampling Errors for Satellite-Derived Tropical Rainfall: Monte Carlo Study Using a Space-Time Stochastic Model. J. Geophys. Res., 95, 2,195-2,206.
- Kedem, B., L. S. Chiu and G. R. North, 1990: Estimation of Mean Rain Rate: Application to Satellite Observations. J. Geophys. Res., 95, 1,965-1,972.
- North, G. R. and J. A. Coakley, 1979: Differences Between Seasonal and Mean Annual Energy Balance Model Calculations of Climate and Climate Change. J. Atmos. Sci., 36, 1,189-1,204.
- Crowley, T. J., D. A. Short, J. G. Mengel and G. R. North, 1986: Role of Seasonality in the Evolution of Climate During the Last 100 Million Years. Science, 231, 579-584.
Full list of publications in PDF for can be found here
- Holder of the Harold J. Haynes Endowed Chair in Geosciences, 2003-2008
- Head, Department of Atmospheric Sciences, Texas A&M University. September 1995-2003.
- Visiting Scientist. University of Reading. Reading, UK. June-July 1994.
- Director of Climate System Research Program, Texas A&M University. September 1986 – 1999.
- Distinguished Professor of Meteorology and of Oceanography, Texas A&M University. September 1986 – present.
- Adjunct Professor of Geography, Texas A&M University. March 1990-present.
- Senior Consulting Scientist, Applied Research Corporation. Landover, MD. 1986-1993.
- Senior Consulting Scientist, Applied Res. Corp. Technologies. College Station, TX. 1987-93.
- Physical Scientist, AST (GS-15), Climate/Radiation Branch, NASA/GSFC. Greenbelt, MD. l978-86.
- Lecturer/Adjunct Prof., Department of Meteorology. University of Maryland. College Park, MD. 1980-86.
- Professor, Department of Physics. University of Missouri. St. Louis, MO. 1977-80.
- Visiting Professor, Columbia University, Summer Lecture Program. NASA/Goddard Institute for Space Studies. New York, NY. July, 1979.
- Associate Professor, Department of Physics. University of Missouri. St. Louis, MO. 1972-77.
- Visiting Scientist, Main Geophysical Observatory. Leningrad, USSR. May-July 1977.
- Guest Investigator, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. Woods Hole, MA. Summer 1976.
- Senior Fellow, National Center for Atmospheric Research. Boulder, CO. 1974-75.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, University of Missouri. St. Louis, MO. 1968-72.
- Research Associate, Department of Physics. University of Pennsylvania, PA. 1966-68.
- Technician/Programmer, Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Oak Ridge, TN. Sept. 1957-Aug. 1961.