Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology
M.A. Washington University, Physics, 1967
B.A. University of the South (cum laude), Physics, 1963
- Fellow of the American Geophysical Union, 2012
- Verner E. Suomi Award of the American Meteorological Society, 2009
- Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 2004
- Texas A&M University Faculty Distinguished Achievement Award in Research, 2000
- Fellow of the American Meteorological Society, 1998
- NASA Exceptional Service Medal, 1989.
- NASA Medal for Exceptional Scientific Achievement, 1974.
- T. Wilheit, V. Chandrasekar, and W. Li 2007 "Impact of Uncertainty in the Drop Size Distribution on Oceanic Rainfall Retrievals from Passive Microwave Observations" Trans IEEE, Geosci & Rem. Sens. 45, 3160-3164
- Blankenship, C.B. and T. T. Wilheit; 2000 "Passive Microwave Observations of Water Vapor Profiles During Two ENSO Events." submitted to /J.G.R atmospheres/
- Blankenship, C.B., A al Khalaf and T. T. Wilheit; 2000: "Retrieval of Water Vapor Profiles Using SSM/T-2 and SSM/I Data" /J. Atmos. Sci. /*57,* 939-955
- Wilheit, T. T. and K.D. Hutchison; 2000: "Retrieval of Cloud Base Heights from Passive Microwave and Cloud Top Temperature Data" /Trans. IEEE Geosci and Rem Sens. /*38,* 1253-1259
- Chang, A.T.C., L.S. Chiu, C. Kummerow, J. Meng & T. T. Wilheit; 1999: "First Results of the TRMM Microwave Imager (TMI) Monthly Oceanic Rain Rate: Comparison with SSM/I" /Geophys. Res . Lett./ *26* 2379-2382
- Wilheit, T. T., et al, 1977: A satellite technique for quantitatively mapping rainfall rates over the ocean. J. Appl. Met., 16, 551-560.
- Wilheit, T. T., and A. H. Barrett, 1970: The microwave spectrum of molecular oxygen. Physical Review A, 1, 213-215.
- 2009-Date Research Professor, Department of Atmospheric Sciences, Texas A&M University
- 2006-2009 Professor, Department of Atmospheric Sciences, Texas A&M University
- 1997-2006 Brockett Professor of Geosciences, Department of Atmospheric Sciences, Texas A&M University.
- 1989-1997 Professor, Department of Meteorology, Texas A&M University.
- 1985-1989 Head of the Microwave Sensors and Data Communication Branch of NASA/GSFC.
- 1971-1985 Research Scientist NASA/GSFC.
- 1991-date American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fellow*
- 1975-date American Meteorological Society (AMS) *Fellow*
- 1975-date Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) *Life Fellow*
- 1970-date American Association for the Advancement of Science, (AAAS)
- 1963-date Phi Beta Kappa